Statement of Faith

There is one God--the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Yeshua is YHWH revealed in human flesh, born of a virgin, and an incarnation of the one God. Scripture is inspired of God and constitutes the perspicuous and plenary special revelation of God. The covenant with Abraham, given as a Torah to Jacob, and confirmed through Yeshua is one and eternal never to be abrogated by man. Yeshua the Messiah died vicariously on behalf of all sinners, rose from the dead on the third day, and bodily ascended into Heaven.Yeshua will return physically to inaugurate the kingdom of God and will physically reign upon the Earth.

Monday, December 4, 2006

Tradition

Tradition… or How do I Interpret Written Torah

I believe that we need to follow the plain sense of the written Torah. The rabbis agree with me. Torah as the letter must be interpreted and applied. The rabbis agree with me. However, the rabbis have bound themselves to the authority of the oral law which they assert is necessary to arrive at a correct understanding of the “plain sense” of the written Torah. I disagree with the rabbis.

It would be absolutely foolish of me to denigrate rabbinic tradition (masorah) and Scripture interpretation (midrash) and to claim the “plain sense” of the Holy Writ, unless I openly acknowledge the interpretive biases and presuppositions that inform my exegetical adventure through written Torah. In other words it is impossible to interpret Scripture in a vacuum. We naturally default to our cultural perspective and values while reading Scripture. To claim *the* “plain sense” without allowing myself to acknowledge my philosophical underpinnings and hermeneutical means would be naïve.

Midrash (used hereafter for traditional rabbinic “exegesis”) is conducted very differently than the historical-grammatical hermeneutic of Protestantism. Midrash does not ask critical questions and is willing to accept sub-literal and unlikely readings of written Torah. Characteristically Protestant historical-grammatical readings ask questions of original audience, author intent, exigency (reason for writing), genre, cultural and historical milieus, language, and textual transmission (with alternative readings in variant manuscripts). Though I see great, great benefit in midrash, it pales in comparison to an historical-grammatical reading of written Torah. What value is there, then, in midrash? Midrash allows the reader to peak into the historical development of rabbinic Judaism and the halalkhic situations that were being dealt with at the time of any given midrash’s composition.

Brief note: The AS are content with using midrashic (or pesher-like) style application of Scripture. This is another issue in itself and differs from the halakhic process.

I start my interpretation of written Torah with an historical-grammatical and critical reading of any given passage. My pursuit of the most-likely reading of the text includes the asking of questions that pertain to the way in which the original recipients would have understood and applied the passage or commandment. After arriving at a level of comfort with the literal meaning of the text, I consult whatever midrashes or Jewish legal codes of relevance. But, I do not limit myself to rabbinic material. This is important to me, I also consider the testimony of non-rabbinics such as the historical Karaites (very important), Philo and Josephus (also very important), the Qumran sect (generally as a counter-example for what not to do), the Psuedopigrapha, the Targums, the church fathers, etc. I consult these sources when they provide examples of how others have applied a commandment to their situations.

I diverge from Protestant hermeneutics in my reliance on historical Jewish sources. I call this the “burden of inheritance.” When there is a net voice within the Jewish sources, I prefer to side with the historical application of Torah. Generally, the “plain sense” of the written Torah will agree with the “burden of inheritance” or written Torah will at least give an open door to it. I find this to be the most balanced approach to the value of historical Jewish readings. I acknowledge their methodological weaknesses, but I refuse to ignore them.

My friend Nate Long (www.natelong.com) posted the following on his blog:

“We do not want you to copy or imitate us. We want to be like a ship that has crossed the ocean, leaving a wake of foam, which soon fades away. We want you to follow the Spirit, which we have sought to follow, but which must be sought anew in every generation.”

This was taken from Why We Live In Community by Eberhard Arnold. I see this concretion as the ideal way to approach historical halakhah—not as concrete but rather as fluid. We can use it for a frame of reference, but it is up to the living to reapply and interpret the value of tradition to modern day exigencies.

Kol tuv,
PeterS (Tzuriel)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post hit the nail on the head. Tradition is great, but it cannot be elevated above the plain meaning of the text, which we get from the historical-grammatical approach.

Anonymous said...

BTW, you wouldn't by chance be an open theist would you?

PeterS (Tzuriel) said...

Hello Seth

Thank you for the feedback! I am willing to let tradition weigh in on biblical interpretation and application as a safe guard. But, as you say, if the tradition and the text disagree, side with the text.

I do identify with open theism. I am Wesleyan-Arminian in theological orientation. Open theism is a pleasant extension of this orientation.

Hey, are you a student at a Christian college? I think that I recall seeing Lincoln Christian in your profile. What is your major. I am a student at Trinity International University in Deerfield, IL.

kol tuv

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're the first Messianic open theist I've met. My good friend Matt (xanga.com/xiantheist) and I both ascribe to open theism as well. I read Greg Boyd's book on this and I was sold (after pndering it over in my head for about a year).

Yes I am a seminary student. I graduated from Lincoln Christian College with a BA in Bible/Theology and am now in seminary persuing an M.Div. I don't have a focus yet, though I'm leaning towards biblical languages.

Man, I'm so excited that you're an open theist too!

Anonymous said...

Hello Seth,

Torah observance is important, but I think that are a lot of fundamental issues that get missed. For example, there are many Torah-inclined believers that believe in eternal security. This belief would not be so bad (especially in the classic perseverance of the saints flavor), but some will [mis]use this doctrine to justify disobedience.

I know two other messianic open theists. The first is my wife. The second is my good friend Dan Gregg (www.torahtimes.org -- temp. down). Many messianics have not had the opportunity to consider open theism. I think that it is such a helpful construct in understand the dynamic relationship God holds with us and creation. It really helps me deal with theodicy and it also is a great case study to demonstrate how Judeo-Christian theism was innocently infected with Hellenism.

I am doing research on the provenance of mens' head coverings in Judaism. If you know of any resources, let me know. I need as many sensitive eyes out there on this topic as possible.

Hey, if you want to discuss open theism or anything else, we can get together or meet by phone.

kol tuv,
PeterS (Tzuriel)

Anonymous said...

Tim Hegg has an article on kippot on torahresource under 'articles' (you probably are aware of it). Daniel Botkin wrote a recent article basically saying that it is optional, neither condemning it nor endorsing it.

To be honest, I've searched for Jewish sources on the matter and have come up short.

Concerning open theism, I'm not entirely sure that predestination or foreknowledge are Hellenistic imports. They could be, but Millard Erickson's book "What Does G-d Know and When Does He Know It?" makes a good case against that argument. If you are looking for a fair assessment of Open Theism by a Calvinist, this would be a good resource. It even has a quote from Clark Pinnock praising Erickson for his respectfulness.

Shalom

Anonymous said...

Peter; can you point me to some material on open theism? I am interested.

Blessings

Dan

PeterS (Tzuriel) said...

Hello Dan,

A good collection of articles about open theism can be found at http://www.opentheism.info/pages/information/ . I would recommend starting with this.

I really am in favor of the open theism understanding of God. It makes God so much more personal than the unmoved, impassible qualities that traditional theism considers part of His nature. You know the question, "Why do we pray," along with the common answer, "Not to change God but to change us." Open theism considers it truly possible to change God's mind just as Moses changed the mind of God at Sinai after the sin of the Golden Calf.

I am glad that you are interested. I would rather not overly identify with open theism on the TR forums. It is not necessary to Torah observance, but it can help us wrestle with questions of God's nature.

kol tuv,
Peter